domingo, 1 de abril de 2012

Tony Bennett


TRIAL DATE McCanns v Bennett, 9 & 10 May 2012 - update

Tony Bennett
Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:55 pm

There has been no settlement between the McCanns and me, nor have the McCanns/Carter-Ruck moved from the position set out in their letter of 20 February, so things proceed towards the two-day trial fixed for 9 and 10 May. 



http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t4408p240-mccanns-v-bennett-153-alleged-breaches-reduced-to-25

Today was the deadline for me to file two documents:

1) A sworn statement (Affidavit) of my reasons for making an Application to be released from an Undertaking which curtails my right of free speech on matters related to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, and

2) A second sworn statement defending the McCanns' application to have me committed to prison/fined/have my assets seized. 

These were duly filed at the Court and served on Carter-Ruck this afternoon, in line with the extended deadline for filing them, namely today.

Under the new deadlines, the McCanns have 28 days to reply, i.e. by Friday 20 April.

THANKS

Without naming anyone, I would like to thank every single person who has helped me in any way to prepare the two Affidavits. The help received has been substantial, it's been mostly from people on this forum, including some very well-qualified 'lurkers' on this forum (they know who they are - thank you all), and it includes an offer to give evidence in court from a person well-qualified in her field, I hope to receive a sworn statement from her soon.

INDEX TO STATEMENTS 

I won't post this up here for public consumption, but I have compiled a two-page index to the topics covered in both Affidavits, which - under conditions of keeping them confidential between now and the hearing - I am happy to send to anyone interested by e-mail (ajsbennett@btinternet.com).



A brief update

Tony Bennett
Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 am

On 23 March I wrote to Carter-Ruck on various procedural matters, to which I await a reply. My letter included this sentence:

'So far as your two additional witnesses are concerned, please confirm that Michael Gunnill will be produced for cross-examination.'
As a result, Carter-Ruck have had to issue an application for Michael Gunnill to attend Court on 9 May 2012 (first day of the 2-day trial) at 10.00am.




The application cost a fee of £45.00, and Carter-Ruck have offered to pay him £110.30 to cover his travelling costs and loss of time on the day. If I lose the case, I shall probably be asked to meet these costs, plus Carter-Ruck's charges for their time in issuung this application, charged at either £1,000 per hour plus VAT (Adam Tudor's rate) or £800 an hour plus VAT (Isabel Hudson's rate).

The Court granted Carter-Ruck's application last Wednesday (28 March).

Carter-Ruck have until 20 April to reply to my Application and Defence.